Saturday, May 4, 2013

He is Risen! A Belated Easter Post

We took the girls to church on Easter. 

Egg hunt -- and I use the word "hunt" loosely -- the day before Easter

We hadn't been to church in an embarrassingly long time... Like, since Christmas/Louisa's baptism.

Hugs for the Easter Bunny

I could blame it on being outnumbered by them, but we didn't go any more frequently when there were only two (or one) of them.  I could say it's because the family mass falls during Louisa's morning nap, but there are other services we could attend.  I can't even blame stress over the girls' behavior at church because, for the most part, they do a great job: Amelia follows along in the missal/hymnal, Ramona snuggles next to one of us and watches, and Louisa generally sleeps. 
 
Unpacking their Easter baskets

I think our lack of attendance is mostly due to a shortage of lazy mornings at home... When we don't have anywhere we have to be, it's harder to get motivated about getting everyone showered and dressed and out the door.  Plus, the girls go to school at that very same church.  They have religious education on Wednesdays and chapel on Fridays (I credit the latter for their surprisingly good behavior during church), and we read to them most nights out of the Jesus Storybook Bible -- one of the best gifts we've ever received (thanks, Elizabeth!), we've read the whole thing cover to cover nearly three times in the last year.

Oh, the joys of Easter grass!

Even so, the girls are getting to the age where I think they benefit from going to church, from seeing other people -- including their parents -- learning and worshipping together.  And Amelia will be attending public school next year, so Sunday will be the only day she gets any formal religious education. 

CANDY...

So we're making an effort to go to church more often!  I'm sure we won't make it every week, but we're going to try. 

Lovely expressions on all three after our picnic on the Common

Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. I do wish you luck! I totally understand the struggle. And am so glad to know y'all are still enjoying The Jesus Storybook Bible. We really like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, that last pic of the girls makes me giggle. I say it to people all the time (in my photographer role), getting two to look at you is hard enough, but three is impossible.

    ReplyDelete