Friday, August 23, 2013

Take Five

As I begin to type this, it's 9:57 PM, on August 23rd.

Amelia was born at this very minute, exactly five years ago.  Her arrival into this world was not what one would call "smooth"...

After nearly 30 hours of labor, I was exhausted, had a fever and a high white blood cell count, and was stuck at 8 cm, despite having my Pitocin cranked way up.  As a result, around 9:30, I was wheeled back into the OR for a C-section. 

I'm pretty fuzzy on the events immediately preceding Amelia's birth.  I don't really remember getting back to the OR or all of the prep work that, after two subsequent C-sections, I know took place.  Like I said, I was tired and sick.  I do remember the odd sensation of her being pulled out, though -- lots of pressure and tugging but no pain.  And I remember throwing up afterwards...  I definitely remember Chad bringing my baby girl over for me to see (FINALLY) while I was being stitched up, and marveling at her tiny fingers and perfect nose while we (okay, I) named her -- Amelia Anne.  And I will never forget holding her for the first time, her solid warmth and her sweet baby smell, after getting back to my labor and delivery room. 

Just two days old...
 Has it really been five years?

Amelia assures me that, yes, she really IS five years old.  In some ways, it's hard to believe that it's been that long.  And yet, it's often hard to remember what our life was like before our oldest arrived! 

...And about two weeks before her fifth birthday!

So happy FIFTH birthday to Amelia, our independent, helpful, talkative, very tall, skinny, brave, clever, sometimes shy, giggly, occasionally sassy, (almost) always sweet, big/little girl. 

Here's hoping that this year brings fewer surprise challenges than last year... like, maybe no surgeries?  :) 

No matter what, we love you so much, Amelia!

1 comment: