Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I'm Back!

That's right. 

After nearly nine months, I am reentering the world of blogging. 

Whyever did I leave it in the first place, you ask?  It was not really a conscious decision, but there were a number of factors contributing to my absence, including:

1. Work

You may recall that I began a new job in May of 2013.  As it goes with new jobs, I was busy getting myself established and found myself with less time to chronicle this little life of ours than I had previously.  You may recall that, when last I posted (in September of last year), I was already a couple of months behind...

2. The Absence of Work

As most if not all of you probably know already, that small pharma company that I moved to last spring ran into some difficulties with the FDA over the labeling for its only marketed product.  As a result, 40% of the company ended up getting laid off, and unfortunately, I was included in that 40%.  At first, I was hopeful that I might be reemployed by the end of the year, but as the weeks turned into months, I became more defeated and more withdrawn.  My sincerest apologies to those of you whose emails and phone calls failed to elicit a reply from me, but there were only so many times that I could cheerily issue my "nothing to report yet" message... And I very much wanted to remain upbeat about the situation, at least outwardly, especially for the girls' sake.  Little kids are so susceptible to our moods, and I wanted to minimize the impact of my unemployment on them.  Plus, I really just didn't want to come off as a whiner!  :)  In retrospect, I probably could have benefitted from the additional emotional support that I'm sure I would have received had I been more transparent about our situation, but hey.  Hindsight's 20/20.  And Chad -- and the girls -- really did a stellar job of maintaining my spirits the vast majority of the time.      

3. Instagram

I love Instagram.  I really do.  It's by far my favorite, most frequently used app.  However... Instagram has allowed me to become very lazy with my "real" photos.  In fact, just yesterday I uploaded pictures from my camera for the first time since September.  And it's hard to post a blog entry without any photos.  (I think) I'm a decent writer, but I don't even try to pretend that anyone visits this blog for my wit or my word choice.  I know you're all here to see pictures of the girls!  So wish me luck as I resolve to get up to date on our family photos.  I'm pretty good about deleting outtakes as I snap, but there still are nearly 2000 new photos on our computer now, ready for reviewing and editing.  Yikes.      

4. Inertia

Once I got out of the habit of blogging, it was just easier not to blog, you know?  And after a few months, the thought of trying to catch up was so intimidating that I actually considered removing Blogger from my browser's home pages.  (I never did actually remove it.  Instead, I would just quickly navigate to something else or close the window.)  :)  I was stressed enough; I didn't want to add the pressure of charmingly catching up all (half a dozen?) of my loyal readers on our goings-on. 


So why am I back on here, then?

Well, as the girls wrap up their school years, I am ashamed that I have not attempted to document them better.  One of the reasons that I started this blog in the first place was so they would have something to look back on someday, for a glimpse into life as it was happening instead of as it has been remembered.  I really want to make more of an effort to keep track of who they are as they grow... because it's happening so quickly!  

I also -- FINALLY -- have happy news on the work front.  On Monday, I reentered the ranks of the employed!  I got an amazing job with a great pharma company just a mile and a half away from our house.  And, knock on wood, I think it will be a really good fit for me. 

So I am expecting a very busy summer, between a new job for me and no school for the girls, but I am going to do my best to catch up on the last nine months, posting pictures if not narrative, and to keep this (relatively) up to date after that.

Seriously.

Wish me luck.  :)

Oh, and because I know what you really want are pictures of the girls... Here are a few from the last nine months, some more recent than others!


See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment