Saturday, June 21, 2014

Last August...

Okay, so it's a little weird to be revisiting Amelia's 5th birthday and Ramona's 3rd birthday (among other things) as we begin planning for their 6th and 4th birthdays, but this is where I left off last year, so... here you go.

August is birthday month for 80% of our family, and so around here August means lots of cake, lots of special breakfasts, lots of candles, and lots of fun.  (So glad that August is just around the corner again!)  Chad is first in the birthday line-up.  We went (candlepin) bowling for his birthday, followed by a picnic at the Monument and cake at home. 

Yes, Ramona likes her carbs; yes, it is kind of difficult to bowl with a toddler on your hip; and yes, Louisa may not enjoy being called "Thing 3".

Ramona's birthday is next.  This child loves cinnamon rolls more than almost any other food, so that's what she picked for breakfast.  (The whipped cream made it fancy.)  Presents took quite a while to get through because she was so enamored with the barn set that Chad and I had gotten her (thank you, IKEA)!  The prospect of cupcakes encouraged her to move along...

Ramona is THREEEEEEEEEE!

Lest you think that I am exaggerating about her lack of desire to open more presents following the barn, here is some video proof...


I know, she's weird.

In between the girls' birthdays, we threw them at joint party at a nearby farm.  The party included a bounce house, a hayride, blueberry picking (with each kiddo taking home a pint of blueberries), and plenty of cake.  It seemed to be a hit, and I would highly recommend it if you're looking for a kids' party idea.  Such a fun theme to work with.

My birthday girls!

I was surprised how excited all of the kids were about picking blueberries... And Ramona still talks about that hayride!

Amelia's birthday followed the party.  By that point, I think we were all a little caked-out, so we celebrated her actual birthday with pancakes and mango for breakfast, and ice cream and strawberries for dessert.  Also, Amelia loves having her nails painted (and anything girly like that), so the evening before her birthday, my mom and I surprised her with a trip to a nail salon for her first real manicure.  At first, Amelia refused, saying that she wanted ME to paint them instead... (Kids!)  After watching for a while, though, she relented and ended up with glittery fuchsia fingernails. 

Five going on fifteen

My birthday finally rolls around at the end of the month.  Unsurprisingly, since I'm usually the one behind the camera, the only picture I have is this one from my phone:

Louisa and me, sharing my new scarf from Lindsey and Grant

But don't worry, Chad definitely made me a cherry pie, and it was delicious.  You'll just have to take my word for it. 

August also included a visit from my mom at the beginning of the month and a visit from my brother at the end.  Here were the highlights:

At the movies with Nonna!


No visit from Nonna would be complete without a trip to the Common

At the beach in York, ME with Uncle Grant, playing in the waves and exploring the tide pools

Sandy baby feet

Post-beach lunch.  And ice cream.  And taffy!


They love their Uncle Grant.

2 comments: